Elementary School Safety Renovation | Oak Bluffs, MA
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, we consulted with Oak Bluffs School as they readied their buildings for in-person classes. We are pleased that our HVAC upgrade exceeded the required ventilation standards, and met the challenge of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Oak Bluffs Elementary School
A perennially leaking roof, outdated HVAC system, unsafe fire alarm system, and drab and worn out flooring. School buildings receive a lot of wear and tear, and maintaining them is an uphill battle. The client asked us to identify and propose solutions for this elementary school.
1. Completed a study to identity problems, propose solutions (involving complicated code issues), and discuss costs. We successfully provided expert advice at town meetings, and helped pass a major bond to renovate the school.
2. Roof renovation: For the sake of economy, we worked to identify a code-approved path that did not require the replacement of the entire roof. Proposed and oversaw infrared scan of roof to reveal source of leaks and areas of trapped moisture. Designed solution to replace shingles and roof insulation in relevant areas. Saved $400,000 in project costs.
3. Renovated and expanded HVAC system and replaced old controls with digital programmable controls.
4. Fire alarm safety: Fire alarm control panel was aging and no parts were available for this discontinued model. Negotiated with building officials to determine code for replacing control panel. Identified engineer to upgrade rather than replace system. Saved $300,000.
5. Flooring project: Replaced flooring in library classrooms and hallways.
Removed baseboards, outdated and worn sheet carpet and vinyl composition tile. Installed new resilient base, carpet tiles, and stylish luxury vinyl plank.